Cheap Car Batteries
- Uncle Tom's Motoring Centre can supply and fit cheap car batteries for most cars and vans. All of Uncle Tom's cheap car batteries come with a full 3-year guarantee and are fitted by our fully qualified and experienced technicians. Uncle Tom's is the place to find cheap car batteries in Harlow and have the lowest prices on car batteries in Essex.
- For price and availability of cheap car batteries, please call 01279 439192.
- Car batteries are a type of rechargeable battery that supplies electricity to your car, usually referring to SLI car batteries (starting, lighting, ignition) which power the starter motor, the lights, and the ignition system of the engine. Car batteries may also be traction car batteries, which are used as the main power source of electric cars.
- SLI car batteries are usually lead-acid type, and are made of six galvanic cells in series to provide a 12 volt system. Each cell provides 2.1 volts for a total of 12.6 volt at full charge.
- Heavy vehicles such as highway trucks or tractors, often equipped with Diesel engines, may have two car batteries in a series for a 24 volt system, or may have parallel strings of car batteries.
- Lead-acid car batteries are made up of plates of lead and separate plates of lead dioxide, which are submerged into an electrolyte solution of about 35% sulfuric acid and 65% water. This causes a chemical reaction that releases electrons, allowing them to flow through conductors to produce electricity. As car batteries discharge, the acid of the electrolyte reacts with the materials of the plates, changing their surface to lead sulfate. Charging car batteries reverses this chemical: the lead sulfate reforms into lead oxide and lead. With the plates restored to their original condition, the process may now be repeated.
- Car batteries tend to last longer when stored in a charged state. Leaving car batteries discharged will shorten their lifespan, or make them unusable if left for a long time (usually several years); sulfation eventually becomes irreversible by normal charging. Car batteries in storage may be monitored and periodically charged to retain their capacity. Car batteries are prepared for storage by charging and cleaning deposits from the posts. Car batteries should be stored in a cool, dry environment for best results since high temperatures increase the self-discharge rate and plate corrosion.
Common Faults for Car Batteries:
Shorted cell due to failure of the separator between the positive and negative plates
Shorted cell or cells due to build up of shed plate material below the plates of the cell
Broken internal connections due to corrosion
Broken plates due to vibration and corrosion
Low electrolyte level
Cracked or broken case
Sulfation after prolonged disuse in a low or zero charged state
- All of the technicians at Uncle Tom's are fully qualified and experienced at diagnosing, repairing and fitting all makes and models of car batteries.
- Proper recycling of car batteries reduces the resources required for manufacturing new car batteries and diverts toxic lead from landfills or improper disposal.